Sunday, November 29, 2009

GM roles

I was recently thinking about the role of the GM in RPGs.  Or referee, or Dungeon Master, or what ever you want to call it.

The 'recieved' version of this for many of us who have been playing a long time is one where the GM is "strong" - that is, the ideal is that the GM is in nearly complete control of what the situation is, and while a good GM can roll with the punches and adjust to what the players do (or what the dice say) generally speaking, they're in a very powerful position.  World creator, rules authority, action determiner, etc.

This probably needs to be examined.  Over at The Sandbox of Doom my dear friend Victor (who was an early GM of mine) ponders this, and wonders what the role of the GM is, contrasting it to the opinion that he recently heard that the game is "all about the players" and finding himself put off by this idea.

There are a lot of different ways to structure this.  There are, for example, systems that encourage a lot of player participation in world creation.  There are those that take this to the limit, with the setting and scenario being a really cooperative effort, using some sort of "pass the stick" narration, or those that involve no central GM, but rather have different people GM'ing different players, each person acting as both player and GM.

None of these, I think, is any better or worse than any other one, although individual preference does play a big role.  Personally, I find that I prefer at least a pre-established framework to hang my stories on, some base setting to work with.  This makes sense for me, because I'm more about the details, and less about the big picture.  But, I really do enjoy playing in games where what I do as a player matters, and matters a lot, and has an effect on other players too.

An awful lot of it actually has to do with the people involved, and less with the specific rules or setting used.  If I trust the GM, and the other players, I'm much more willing to be led down a path not of my own making.  That trust comes from long association, and knowledge of what I can expect.  It's hard to develop, and easy to wreck.  But when it works, it really, really works.

My big question right now could be stated as "how much do you want to know about what's going to happen?"  Traditional GM roles have the GM often coming up with surprises, or hidden information that the characters have to cope with.  This is something that comes out of the strong GM role, and can be very good when done well.  But it's very, very hard to do.

So, I've been thinking a lot about disclosure, the idea that it might be OK if I actually reveal a lot about what's going on, or where I think things are going to the players outside of the game.  The risk is that it's not a surprise anymore.  The benefit might be that the players can adapt and contribute a lot to how it goes, leading to good RP and great emotional satisfaction.  I think that in the past this has mostly been done with setting, sort of creating a third entity that has a say in the proceedings.

For example, in Call of Cthulu, one goes into the game knowing that it's pretty much assured that the characters will end up insane.  Since everyone knows that this is the eventual ending of the story, the joy comes from the particulars of how you get there.

But what if, as a player, I told you (as a GM) that I expected the love triangle that your character is  involved in to end up with at least one of the characters being killed, or killing themselves.  If you agreed, we could go down that route, putting our work into making that a satisfying sort of story to tell.    While for some, it might wreck things to know what's going to happen, for others, it might be a really good way to set the stage, and then focus on the details and the drama that the situation naturally produces. I am thinking of the opening lines of Romeo and Juliet:

Two households, both alike in dignity,
In fair Verona, where we lay our scene,
From ancient grudge break to new mutiny,
Where civil blood makes civil hands unclean.
From forth the fatal loins of these two foes
A pair of star-cross'd lovers take their life;
Whole misadventured piteous overthrows
Do with their death bury their parents' strife.
The fearful passage of their death-mark'd love,
And the continuance of their parents' rage,
Which, but their children's end, nought could remove,
Is now the two hours' traffic of our stage;
The which if you with patient ears attend,
What here shall miss, our toil shall strive to mend.
What do you think?  Does knowing how the story ends make it less satisfying to be a part of?



2 comments:

  1. For me, part of the joy of being a GM is to set up a story line and turn the
    main characters loose in it, and see what happens. I don't like to box them
    in to a predefined path (except when rarely absolutely necessary) but it can
    be frustrating when things go utterly differently than I had planned.

    However, a good story arc which allows for some brilliant role playing
    is something that can go well if the player and GM are both into
    working the scene out and playing it through. I've done that a few times,
    when an exiting player wanted a heroic death scene or some dramatic situation
    was interesting for everyone. That was quite fun as well.

    In those cases, knowing the end doesn't detract when you are intent on
    acting it out. It's like moving from watching a play (to see what
    happens next) and acting in the play (having already read the script).
    As players, we really switch between those roles all the time, don't we?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Personally, I prefer games with a less-than-traditionally-strong GM. Though I find that I enjoy the small authority being GM affords me; that is, I feel comfortable telling the players that the rule they're invoking doesn't work like that, or to focus back on the game, or whatever. I don't feel as comfortable doing this as a player.

    For me, the role of the GM is mainly to push against what the characters want; to provide them opposition in order to make the path to their goals meaningful. Not, definitely not, to be the storyteller, making a plot that the characters wend themselves through. I really dislike playing in those kind of games. As a GM I enjoy coming up with situations and NPCs that push against the players or play into their desires. I don't enjoy coming up with a story. The play at the table is the story, and it's what it's all about. Anyway, I'll end that rant. I suppose I get most of my "this is what the GM is" from Buring Wheel and Houses of the Blooded. A GM certainly has other roles and responsibilities in other games.

    More to the point of your question: It depends. If it's "knowing how the story ends" in a vague way, as in Call of Cthulhu, then I think it's fine. Then it's just endgame triggering. But if it's really specific, I'm robbed of player agency. I'm having a hard time envisioning a scenario wherein I'd enjoy that, but I'm sure under some circumstances I would.

    ReplyDelete